Banaba is an herbal remedy extracted from the leaves of Lagerstroemia speciosa, a tree native to Southeast Asia. Long used in folk medicine, banaba is available in supplement form. Proponents claim that banaba can promote weight loss and treat a wide range of health problems.
Rich in corosolic acid (a substance found to possess blood-sugar-lowering, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties), banaba also contains ellagitannins, a class of compounds with antioxidant effects.
Banaba leaf extract’s key components include corosolic acid, lagerstroemia, and gallotannins
Corosolic acid lowers glucose levels in the bloodstream through a variety of mechanisms. It :
- Activates cells in the body to take up higher amounts of glucose
- Discourages the body from breaking down starches or sucrose into glucose molecules
- Prevents the body from making glucose for energy from non-carbohydrates (opposes gluconeogenesis)
1) Banaba Leaf Is Anti-Diabetic
2) Banaba Leaf Promotes Weight Loss
3) Banaba Leaf Is an Antioxidant
4) Banaba Leaf Is Anti-Inflammatory
5) Banaba Leaf Is Antiviral
6) Banaba Leaf Is Antibacterial
7) Banaba Leaf May Help Prevent Cancer
8) Banaba Leaf May Improve Heart Health
9) Banaba Leaf May Help Prevent Liver Disease